I’ve been a paying customer for Hosting24 for the last 37 months. During that time, I’ve monitored their performance – avg. load time and uptime.
This review relies strongly on data, such as uptime, load time (speed) and customer support experience.
What is Hosting24?
Hosting24 was founded in 2004 in the beautiful Larnaca, Cyprus.
Because… taxes? Also, beaches.
Similar to many other web hosts, their website is chock-full of hyperbolic language, including 99.9% uptime guarantees and ‘automatic backups’ (which we’ll debunk in a minute).
Let’s see how they measure up.
We set up a WordPress website on their cheapest shared hosting plan back in June of 2015. Since then, we’ve been closely monitoring uptime and speed, in addition to testing their customer support and performing background checks to compile our results in an unbiased, honest review.
Keep reading to find out what we found.
Pros of using Hosting24
Hosting24 has pretty good customer support. They also throw in a few other nice-to-have (but not essential) things. That’s about it.
Take a look.
1. Pretty Good Customer Support
Hosting24 primarily offers support via live chat, which connected us immediately to one of their support agents.
Their responses were thoughtful, detailed, and clear enough. Although there was a noticeable delay in between answering questions if we’re nit-picking. A quick background check reveals other similarly mixed reviews.
Overall, not too bad to begin with though.
2. Enhanced Security with Automated Backups
Hosting24 follows up their seemingly customer-centric approach by paying special attention to your site’s security.
Many of their hosting plans come standard with CloudFlare DDOS Protection and the ClamAV antivirus scanner to proactively protect your site.
They’ll also even perform weekly backups. In an ideal world, you would have daily backups. But since they’re throwing it in for free, while many other sites force you to pay extra, it’s not a bad deal. We’ll review these backups in more detail soon.
In addition, they also offer SpamAssassin Protection for email.
3. U.S. and European Server Locations
When signing up for a new shared or VPS hosting account, you’re given the option to choose between hosting your site on their North America (Asheville, North Carolina) or European (United Kingdom) locations (depending on who you’re trying to reach).
4. Numerous Promotional Sales
If you time it right, you might get an incredible deal.
At the time of this writing (5/18/16), they were running a 50% lifetime discount flash sale.
And a quick look at their Facebook Page reveals numerous sales over the past few weeks, occurring every 14 days or so.
To top it all off, you can try all their shared hosting plans for $0.01 for the first month (which also includes a money-back guarantee, just in case you can’t live without that single cent).
5. Free Website Transfer(s)
Hosting24 will help you transfer or migrate an existing website — free of charge — if it’s hosted elsewhere. (It’s worth noting that almost every other host we’ve reviewed also offers this perk.)
Cons of using Hosting24
Hosting24 offered pretty decent customer support. Unfortunately, that’s pretty much it. The rest of their performance is pretty bad.
Here are the details.
1. Mediocre Average 99.95% Uptime Over Prior 8 Months
One of the first things you’ll notice when logging on to the Hosting24 website are the 99.9%+ uptime boasts.
After putting them to the test, we did get the result they offer.
Over the last eight months, Hosting24 was able to deliver 99.95% uptime in our test (only .01% better than industry averages)
Our background checks revealed many customer complaints about being unable to access their website (including the dreaded ‘Service Temporarily Unavailable’ message).
- “The uptime has been horrible. My website gets offline almost daily. According to Pingdom my website has been offline for over 50+ times.”
- “Uptime was the worst point: my websites have been down so many times because of so-called “server updates” and Hosting24 never noticed it themselves.”
- “The most regular error that I get is: Service Temporarily Unavailable“
- “I worked with Hosting24 but didn’t like their stability and support“
- “Now they are providing good service, just uptime is not 100%“
- September average uptime: 99.98%
- October average uptime: 99.97%
- November average uptime: 100%
- December average uptime: 99.85%
- January average uptime: 100%
- February average uptime: 100%
- March average uptime: 99.88%
- April average uptime: 99.96%
Hosting24: Page Load Speed and Uptime (Last 12 months, full data can be found here.)
2. 20.0% (!) Slower than the Competition
If Hosting24’s uptime is below average, their page loading times are absolutely abysmal.
They clocked in at 1,074ms over the past eight months, which makes them 20.67% slower than the competition’s 890ms average.
Honestly, after reviewing thirty web hosts to date, this is one of the worst page speed times we’ve seen.
That means speed isn’t just an experience issue. In fact, it has a direct impact on your bottom line too, causing site visitors to leave in droves.
And one of the most important factors for site speed comes down to the speed of your hosting. There’s only so many things you can do if the foundation is faulty.
Last 8 month average load time
- September average speed: 1,130ms
- October average speed: 1,082ms
- November average speed: 1,066ms
- December average speed: 1,075ms
- January average speed: 1,057ms
- February average speed: 1,044ms
- March average speed: 1,061ms
- April average speed: 1,084ms
3. Limited, Marginally Beneficial Backups (Despite Claims to the Contrary)
Hosting24 advertises their backup feature as a badge of honour on their website.
But in our experience, it doesn’t live up to the hype. Here’s why.
Reason #1: They only do weekly backups.
Ideally, these should be done daily to make sure you always have a copy ready to restore should anything happen during the course of business as usual or overnight (a hack comes to mind).
Reason #2. During the weekly backup, they will delete your previous ones.
That’s not ideal, because to be on the safe side, it’s always better to have multiple versions. Relying on a single backup could be a problem if there are any random problems or issues that happen.
Reason #3. To top it all off, they won’t backup accounts larger than 2GB.
2BG ain’t that big. Especially if your site is highly visual (eCommerce comes to mind). If you don’t properly scale, crop and compress high-resolution images before uploading them, you could have a single photo take up over 20mb easily. Multiple that by 10 (or 100) and you’re quickly maxing out.
All-in-all, don’t believe the hype.
You’re probably better off backing up the site yourself.
Hosting24 Pricing, Hosting Plans & Quick Facts
Here’s a quick overview of their hosting plans. They offer two shared plans.
- Single Web Hosting: This plan starts at $2.15 per month. It comes with 1 website, 10gb disk space. 100gb bandwidth and the option to choose your server location.
- Premium Web Hosting: This plan starts at $3.49 per month. It comes with unlimited websites, unlimited disk space, unlimited bandwidth plus custom name servers and add-on domains.
- Business Web Hosting This plan starts at $7.95 per month. It comes with everything in the Premium plan plus daily backups, better support and more speed.
You can try all their shared hosting plans for $0.01 for the first month.
- Free domain? Yes.
- Ease of Signup: Easy sign up process.
- Payment Methods: Credit Card, PayPal.
- Hidden Fees and Clauses: Accounts with a single file above 1GB, or with more than 250,000 files, can be terminated without notice to the account owner.
- Upsells: No upsells.
- Account Activation: Instant Activation.
- Control Panel and Dashboard Experience: cPanel.
- Installation of Apps and CMSs (WordPress, Joomla, etc.): One-click installation of popular apps and CMSs through Softaculous.
Do We Recommend Hosting24?
No. We cannot.
When you sign up for web hosting, you’re paying for performance.
Namely, (1) uptime and (2) page loading times.
Hosting24’s uptime was well below average. The best website in the world, that’s consistently falling offline, won’t benefit you.
And their page loading times were even worse, among the slowest we’ve seen. That’s a BIG problem when it comes to generating revenue from this site (as discussed earlier).
A quick look at our full web hosting list will help you find MUCH better web hosts, with stable uptime, blazing-fast loading times, and fantastic customer support – all at a decent price point.
Do you have any experience with Hosting24? Please leave a review below, good or bad, as long as it’s honest and transparent.