Hosting24 was bootstrapped in 2008 and is a part of the Hostinger network. They provide service for 29 million users in 178 countries.
Similarly to many other web hosts, their website is chock-full of hyperbolic language, including 99.9% uptime guarantees and ‘automatic backups’ (which we’ll debunk in a minute).
Let’s see how they measure up.
We set up a WordPress website with their cheapest shared hosting plan back in June of 2015. Since then, we’ve been closely monitoring uptime and speed, in addition to testing their customer support and performing background checks to compile our results in an unbiased, honest review.
Keep reading to find out what we found.
Pros of Using Hosting24
Hosting24 has pretty good customer support. They also throw in a few other nice-to-have (but not essential) things. That’s about it.
Take a look:
1. Decently Good Customer Support
Hosting24 primarily offers support via live chat, which connected us immediately to one of their support agents.
Their responses were thoughtful, detailed, and clear enough. Although there was a noticeable delay in between answering questions if we’re nit-picking. A quick background check reveals other similarly mixed reviews.
Overall, the reviews are not too bad.
2. Enhanced Security With Automated Backups
Hosting24 follows up its seemingly customer-centric approach by paying special attention to your site’s security.
Many of their hosting plans come standard with Cloudflare DDOS Protection and the ClamAV antivirus scanner to proactively protect your site.
They’ll also perform weekly backups. In an ideal world, you would have daily backups. Since they’re throwing it in for free, while many other sites force you to pay extra, it’s not a bad deal. We’ll review these backups in more detail soon.
In addition, they also offer SpamAssassin Protection for emails.
3. U.S. and European Server Locations
When signing up for a new shared or VPS hosting account, you’re given the option to choose between hosting your site on their North America (Asheville, North Carolina) or European (United Kingdom) locations (depending on your target group).
4. Numerous Promotional Sales
If you time it right, you might get an incredible deal.
At the time of writing this review (5/18/16 – Update 11/01/18 they appear to be still doing them!), they were running a 50% lifetime discount flash sale.
A quick look at their Facebook Page reveals numerous different sales, usually associated with some holiday.
5. Free Website Transfer(s)
Hosting24 will help you transfer or migrate an existing website — free of charge — if it’s hosted elsewhere. (It’s worth noting that almost every other host we’ve reviewed also offers this perk.)
6. Above Average Uptime Over Prior 24 Months
One of the first things you’ll notice when visiting the Hosting24 website is 99.9%+ uptime boasts.
After putting them to the test, we got the result they offer.
Over the last 24 months, Hosting24 was able to deliver 99.97% uptime in our test.
Our background checks revealed that many customers complain about being unable to access their website (including the dreaded ‘Service Temporarily Unavailable’ message).
- “The uptime has been horrible. My website gets offline almost daily. According to Pingdom, my website has been offline for over 50+ times.”
- “Uptime was the worst point: my websites have been down so many times because of so-called “server updates” and Hosting24 never noticed it themselves.”
- “The most regular error that I get is: Service Temporarily Unavailable“
- “I worked with Hosting24 but didn’t like their stability and support“
- “Now they are providing good service, just uptime is not 100%“
Last 12-month average uptime:
- January 2020 average uptime: 99.97%
- December 2019 average uptime: 99.99%
- November 2019 average uptime: 100%
- October 2019 average uptime: 100%
- September 2019 average uptime: 100%
- August 2019 average uptime: 99.98%
- July 2019 average uptime: 99.95%
- June 2019 average uptime: 100%
- May 2019 average uptime: 99.98%
- April 2019 average uptime: 100%
- March 2019 average uptime: 100%
- February 2019 average uptime: 99.98%
7. Above-Average Speed
Hosting24 performed rather well with their load times. They clocked in at 668ms over the past 24 months.
Not the best we’ve seen, but not the worst also.
That means speed isn’t just an experience issue. In fact, it has a direct impact on your conversion rates, too, causing site visitors to leave in droves.
One of the most important factors for site speed comes down to the speed of your hosting. There are only so many things you can do if the foundation is faulty.
Last 12-month average load time:
Cons of Using Hosting24
There are some downsides to consider before committing to Hosting24.
Take a look:
1. Limited, Marginally Beneficial Backups (Despite Claims to the Contrary)
Hosting24 advertises their backup feature as a badge of honor on their website. Unfortunately, in our experience, it doesn’t live up to the hype.
Reason #1: They only do weekly backups.
Ideally, these should be done daily to make sure you always have a copy ready to restore, in case anything happens.
Reason #2. During the weekly backup, they will delete your previous ones.
That’s not ideal, because to be on the safe side, it’s always better to have multiple versions. Relying on a single backup could be a problem if there are any random problems or issues that happen.
Reason #3. To top it all off, they won’t backup accounts larger than 2GB.
2BG ain’t that big. Especially if your site is highly visual (eCommerce comes to mind). If you don’t properly scale, crop, and compress high-resolution images before uploading them, you could have a single photo take up over 20mb easily. Multiply that by 10 (or 100) and you’re quickly maxing out.
All-in-all, don’t believe the hype!
You’re probably better off backing up the site yourself.
Hosting24 Pricing, Hosting Plans & Quick Facts
Here’s a quick overview of their hosting plans. They offer two shared plans:
- Single Web Hosting: This plan starts at $0.80 per month. It comes with 1 website, 10GB disk space, 100GB bandwidth, and the option to choose your server location.
- Premium Web Hosting: This plan starts at $2.15 per month. It comes with 50 websites, 20GB disk space, unlimited bandwidth, plus custom name servers and add-on domains.
- Business Web Hosting: This plan starts at $3.45 per month. It comes with unlimited websites and bandwidth. As well as 30GB disk space, daily backups, custom name servers, and add-on domains.
- Free domain? No.
- Ease of Signup: Easy sign-up process.
- Payment Methods: Credit Card, PayPal.
- Hidden Fees and Clauses: Accounts with a single file above 1GB, or with more than 250,000 files, can be terminated without notice to the account owner.
- Upsells: SSL certificate.
- Account Activation: Instant Activation.
- Control Panel and Dashboard Experience: cPanel.
- Installation of Apps and CMSs (WordPress, Joomla, etc.): One-click installation of popular apps and CMSs through Softaculous.
Do We Recommend Hosting24?
No. We cannot.
When you sign up for web hosting, you’re paying for the performance.
Namely, (1) uptime and (2) page loading times.
Hosting24’s uptime was, well, just above average. The best website in the world, that’s consistently falling offline, won’t benefit you.
Their page loading times are about that same- just slightly better than the industry standard. That might become a problem when it comes to generating revenue from your site (as discussed earlier).
A quick look at our full web hosting list will help you find web hosts, with more stable uptime, blazing-fast loading times, and fantastic customer support – all at a decent price point. But if you’re looking for something really basic then we have also listed best free web hosting services (not recommended).
Do you have any experience with Hosting24? Please leave a review below – good or bad – as long as it’s honest and transparent.