A bit of background
We’ve been a paying customer for IxWebHosting for 17 months. During that time, we’ve monitored IxWebHosting’s performance including uptime, load time (speed) and customer support experience.
The roots of IX Web Hosting date back to ’99 in Columbus, Ohio.
Over the next 17 years, they’ve steadily grown to now host approximately half a million websites for over 110,000 customers.
While those numbers sound impressive, we’ve reviewed enough hosts to know that sometimes the oldest in the industry fail to live up to the hype.
They coast by on reputation more than performance, while newer upstarts like A2 Hosting come out of nowhere to dominate the hosting scene.
So which is it?
Industry titan, or laggard?
We put them to the test, setting up a simple WordPress website on their IX Web Hosting ‘Expert Plan’ in June of 2015.
Since then, we’ve been keeping a close eye on their performance stats like uptime & speed to determine if they’re a viable hosting option for you (or if you should run and hide instead).
Here’s a complete, unbiased review — the good, bad, and ugly — of what we found.
PROS of using IX Web Hosting:
IX Web Hosting offers a few unique features that no other host we’ve seen offer the same (for the same price).
Check it out for yourself.
1. Dedicated IP(s)
Each and every hosting plan, including the cheapest shared one which starts at $3.95 each month, comes with a free dedicated IP.
Dedicated IP’s are beneficial for high traffic sites that might need additional (or ‘dedicated’ resources) to keep performance running smoothly. They’re also necessary if you’re going to use an SSL certificate to have a secure site for processing eCommerce-like transactions (and to a lesser extent, SEO). They’re also helpful if you want to access your site through FTP frequently or view by the IP address.
Typically, these are always an added cost. Which makes this offer a great deal that you should ultimately factor into pricing.
2. 30 Day Money Back Guarantee AND a 7 Day Free Trial
Most web hosts offer some sort of 30-day money back guarantee so if you change your mind and want to switch hosting providers again, you’re not completely locked into a long (sometimes 3+ year) arrangement.
IX Web Hosting provides that. But then they go above-and-beyond, throwing in a free 7 day trial on top of it.
That means they won’t charge your credit card until the end of that trial period, allowing you to sign up and get started completely free.
3. Free Website Transfer & Domain Name
Similar to other web hosts, IX will help you transfer an existing website over to their servers with no additional charge.
For new users, they also throw in a free domain name as well.
5. LOTS of Available Plans
A final unique characteristic of IX web hosting is their plan availability and flexibility.
Simply put: they have A LOT.
That’s helpful if you have unique circumstances (like you want to run Windows applications and can’t use a standard Linux setup like most hosts offer), or if you’re going to grow and need the options for scale to add additional bandwidth, storage space, and more.
CONS of using IX Web Hosting:
IX Web Hosting provides a few additional features that not many other web hosts out there provide.
However, their performance slips a bit in some of the more important categories like speed and support.
1. Poor Uptime of 99.74% Over the Last 12 Months
Unfortunately, IX’s uptime has only gotten worse over time.
They posted an average of 99.74% uptime (compared to the industry’s 99.94%) over the past 12-months.
Sure, we’ve seen better. Much better. See the stats below:See previous uptime - 2015 (expands)
- June average uptime: 98.96%
- July average uptime: 99.94%
- August average uptime: 99.99%
- September average uptime: 99.72%
- October average uptime: 99.94%
Last 12 months average uptime (2015 – 2016):
- November (2015) average uptime: 99.96%
- December average (2015) uptime: 99.91%
- January average uptime: 99.96%
- February average uptime: 99.90%
- March average uptime: 99.86%
- April average uptime: 99.91%
- May average uptime: 100%
- June average uptime: 99.98%
- July average uptime: 99.96%
- August average uptime: 99.99%
- September average uptime: 97.83%
- October average uptime: 99.87%
IX Web Hosting: Page Load Speed and Uptime (Last 12 months, full data can be found here.)
2. Consistently Below Average Page Loading Times
Sometimes a web host might have a bad month or two in page loading times (while the others are OK), and it drags down their average.
Unfortunately, that’s not the case with IX, who instead was pretty slow across the board over the entire time we’ve monitored them.
Their average for the past twelve months clocked in at 965ms, which is about 38% slower than the industry standard 700ms.See previous load time - 2015 (expands)
- June average speed: 835ms
- July average speed: 866ms
- August average speed: 937ms
- September average speed: 1,354ms
- October average speed: 988ms
Last 12 months average speed (2015 – 2016):
- November (2015) average speed: 982ms
- December (2015) average speed: 983ms
- January average speed: 984ms
- February average speed: 990ms
- March average speed: 985ms
- April average speed: 981ms
- May average speed: 949ms
- June average speed: 977ms
- July average speed: 959ms
- August average speed: 957ms
- September average speed: 902ms
- October average speed: 920ms
3. Lots of ‘upsells’
Once you’re logged into Ix Web Hosting control panel, they’ll start bombarding you with up-sells. This means that once a while (or more) you’ll see different popups that literally force you to buy some add-ons from them. The thing is, in most cases you don’t really need them and I found them very disturbing.
4. Unhelpful Support Experience
The 10 minutes it took for them to connect with us wasn’t terrible, but things continued to go downhill from there.
Each of our questions was met with a lengthy delay. Which might make you think it was because they were busy formulating a thoughtful, eloquent answer to our question.
But that wasn’t the case.
Instead, each answer was simply copied & pasted from their Help documents.
All in all, a pretty unhelpful, below average experience.
Customer support on IX Web Hosting
5. No cPanel
IX Web Hosting provides their own control panel for shared hosting plans. While it’s a nice gesture, more sophisticated users won’t appreciate not having access to cPanel.
6. Pricey Setup Fee
The good news is that IX Web Hosting offers a true one-month or three-month option.
The bad news is that they’ll charge you a $30 setup fee for both of these shorter-term plans.
Overview on IXWebHosting Shared hosting plans
Here’s a quick overview of the hosting plans offered by IX:
- Expert Plan: This plan costs $3.95 per month. It comes with support for up to 2 dedicated IPs and 1 free domain name.
- Business Plus plan: This plan costs $7.95 per month. It comes with support for up to 3 IPs and 2 free domain names.
- Business Plus Windows plan: This plan costs $4.50 per month. It comes with everything in Business Pro plan, and 3 free dedicated IP addresses.
- Unlimited Pro plan: This plan costs $7.95 per month. It comes with support for up to 15 IPs and 3 free domain names.
- Unlimited Pro Windows plan: This plan costs $9.95 per month. It comes with everything in the Unlimited Pro plan and 15 free dedicated IP addresses.
All shared hosting plans come with unlimited disk space and bandwidth, and support for unlimited domain names. All Linux shared hosting plans come with one free dedicated IP.
- Free Domain: Free domain with all accounts. Up to three free domains with the Unlimited Pro plan.
- Ease of Signup: One page sign up. Very easy sign up process.
- Payment Methods: Credit Card, PayPal, AliPay.
- Hidden Fees and Clauses: $30 setup fee if you pay monthly or quarterly. There’s a limit of 110,000 files on Windows plans and 300,000 files on Linux plans.
- Upsells: Lots of upsells.
- Account Activation: Quick account activation.
- Control Panel and Dashboard Experience: Their own control plan. Users are generally not fond of it.
- Installation of Apps and CMSs (WordPress, Joomla, etc.): One-click installer to install WordPress and other popular apps and CMSs.
Do We Recommend IX Web Hosting?
While they do offer a dedicated IP and 7-day free trial, we can’t overlook the poor uptime, consistently slow performance, or terrible customer support.
They’re below average at best.
Which is not good enough when you can find other hosts on this review list that offer MORE for the same price.
Have you used IX Web Hosting? We need your help :). Leave a honest review for IX Web Hosting below
Submit a review
Submit a short but detailed review and earn $10 when we approve it.
3 user reviews for IXWebHosting
IxWebHosting is dead
My site have constant uptime problems, yet IxWebHosting doesn’t help you on that. Several times I’ve contacted them, but all they answer is “We’ll look into that”.
Well, that’s not enough for me. I’m moving away.
Good for me.
IX Web Hosting is exactly what should be a hosting provider. After
years of messing around with other providers, IX was a revelation:
reliable hosting, excellent service, and also very affordable. I have
spread over several years, using both the Personal Hosting and
Business Hosting – at last, I got a customized plan that suited my
needs. Both packages are excellent for me and have a good
The customer portal is uncluttered and easy to navigate, making
invoices and another data quickly accessible. The interfaces are also
open, and my websites are running quickly and smoothly. While my
previous hosting providers put out their desk – and I had to deal with
people who listened hardly well – you get immediately to IX contact
people who know what they are talking about and who are ready to help
you. The few times I really needed help, I was helped immediately and
knowledgeable, and I even got tips on how to better secure my
In short IX Web Hosting is the ideal hosting provider that I’d
recommend it to anyone who is looking for hassle-free hosting.
No fresh WordPress install?
I wanted to install a new WordPress blog to IX Web Hosting, but once I signed up, I soon realised that there were no fresh WordPress install. This was a huge red flag for me and I decided to use their “free trial” for 7 days and then cancel.
They can be a good host, but the fact that there was no fresh WordPress install made me wonder if they truly care about their customers.
Another thing that really bothered me was tons of pop-ups and “special offers” that made really hard to navigate through their cPanel.