I’ve been a paying customer for MDDHosting for 37 months. During that time, I’ve monitored their performance.
This review relies strongly on data, such as uptime, load time (speed) and customer support experience.
What is MDD Hosting?
MDD is a boutique (read: small), private hosting company founded fairly recently in 2007.
Their claims to fame?
Speed and service. The ‘meat and potatoes’ of web hosting.
Their straightforward, no-BS approach seems refreshingly honest in an industry that can be, well, less so.
It also reflects their down-to-earth, Mid-Western roots (started and headquartered in Indiana, with data centers in Denver, Colorado.)
We’re always on the lookout for the diamond in the rough; new hosting companies that offer a different or better approach than the old industry stalwarts.
MDD looks like a perfect candidate.
We purchased MDD Hosting’s ‘Basic Plan’ in June 2015, and set-up a basic WordPress website to begin running tests for the eventual unbiased review you’re reading now. You can find all of our detailed performance stats, like uptime and speed, by clicking ‘History’ for more.
Pros of using MDD Hosting
Most hosting companies sell the same service (more or less). Some throw in a few extras, but the big three of uptime, speed, and service are primarily what you’re buying.
If a web hosting company fall short in any one of these areas, there’s an issue. Two or more? Run.
Fortunately, MDD passes two of the three with flying colors.
1. Good in Page Load Time (403ms)
Next up, speed. (No, not the excellent 90’s movie featuring Keanu Reeves.)
This is where MDD was pretty good at 16 months ago. But during the last 8 months, they put up an incredible page load time of 403.4ms, which is 54.72% faster than the industry average page speed of 890ms.
A quick background check with other sources confirmed that speed is one of the biggest reasons for so many happy MDD customers.
See for yourself:
Last 8 month average load time (2017 – 2018)
- September average speed: 430ms
- October average speed: 442ms
- November average speed: 378ms
- December average speed: 359ms
- January average speed: 390ms
- February average speed: 385ms
- March average speed: 423ms
- April average speed: 420ms
We also noticed that they use LiteSpeed servers which seems to do the trick for them:
2. Quick, Efficient Support
MDD provides standard 24/7/365 customer support through phone, email and ticketing system. No live chat as of now.
During our review processes, they responded to our tickets within less than three minutes (which, is kinda fast enough to be considered a slow live chat I guess).
Once again MDD performs well in one of the ‘big three’, providing quick, efficient support that’s good enough for an 8/10 at the very least.
Quick chat with MDD hosting support agent
3. Straightforward Hosting
That was a bad technical joke, that stands for what you see is what you get with MDD.
No hidden fees. No pricing tricks where you have to sign away the next 35 years of your life for the low advertised website price. And no games with limiting standard features to only the more expensive plans.
Sure, there are some space and storage limitation for lesser plans. But otherwise, you get all of the same features that the more expensive ones offer.
For example, even with their basic plan you get unlimited:
- FTP accounts
Want to pay for just a single month, as opposed to a full year (or more)? Sure, you can go ahead and do that too. The annual discount isn’t huge either, so you’re not missing out on much.
4. Free Transfers
MDD hosting will happily help you relocate your site for free, if you’re moving from another host. No fees or tricks here.
5. 30-Day Money Back Guarantee
MDD Hosting offers an unconditional, hassle-free 30 day money back guarantee with most of their plans. Nothing special like 90 or even 97-days, but not bad either.
Cons of using MDD Hosting
Everything good comes at a price. With MDD hosting, one of their ‘cons’ is just that.
1. Just Over the Average with 99.94% Uptime Over 8-Months
Over a eight month period, we tracked MDD Hosting’s uptime for our site to make sure things ran smoothly (and that there weren’t any hiccups).
Industry standard comes out to around 99.94% uptime, and MDD had the exact performance over the last 8 months, which is pretty good.
Not terrible, but not great either. Especially when you see how much they cost…
- September average uptime: 99.92%
- October average uptime: 99.91%
- November average uptime: 99.88%
- December average uptime: 100%
- January average uptime: 99.88%
- February average uptime: 99.97%
- March average uptime: 99.95%
- April average uptime: 99.98%
MDDHosting: Page Load Speed and Uptime (Last 12 months, full data can be found here.)
2. Cost vs. Benefit
MDD Hosting performed very well in speed, and support. Their uptime wasn’t too bad either.
But it’s going to set you back a little bit, with their cheapest plan starting at $7.50 per month (or $6.38 monthly if you pay annually). That’s among the most expensive, shared web hosting options we’ve reviewed.
Update May, 2018: It seems that MDDHosting is constantly changing their pricing options. We’ve seen several different prices on their site, such as $6.38, $6.00, $4.47 & $3.50. It’s hard to tell which one is their original price.
It’s worth noting however that their ‘Basic’, least expensive (relatively speaking) plan also comes with much more than most comparable plans.
So this really comes down to how you’ll be using it (personal vs. business), and if you plan on taking advantage of all the extras they include (like unlimited databases).
MDD Hosting Pricing, Hosting Plans & Quick Facts
Here’s a quick overview of the various hosting plans offered by MDD Hosting:
Shared Hosting: They offer two main shared hosting plans:
- Customizable plan: This plan costs $3.50 per month. It comes with 1 to 50 GB of storage, 1 to 15 domains, 10 to 500 GB of data transfer, 5 to 25 databases and email accounts.
- Professional plan: This plan costs $9.50 per month. It comes with unlimited storage, domains, data transfer, databases and more.
- Ease of Signup: Very lengthy signup process.
- Payment Methods: Credit Card, Paypal.
- Hidden Fees and Clauses: By signing up you agree that they have the right to change the monthly payment amount and other charges at anytime. You must not use more than 25 percent of system resources for longer than 120 seconds or you risk account termination (kinda standard among the industry). Abusing their staff in any medium or format will result in termination of your account without refund (which, is also kinda respectable).
- Upsells: A few upsells.
- Account Activation: Quick activation.
- Control Panel and Dashboard Experience: cPanel.
- Installation of Apps and CMSs (WordPress, Joomla, etc.): Quick and easy install of popular apps and CMSs with Softaculous.
Do We Recommend MDD Hosting?
MDD is relatively new to the hosting game. But so far, they’ve put up decent uptime numbers, fast page loading times, and great customer support.
Their no-BS approach is also a breath of fresh air.
Yes, we recommend them (but their uptime could be better).
There are many less expensive options out there if you’re just looking for a simple hobby or personal site.
Otherwise despite being one of the most expensive shared hosting options available, you’ll probably get your money’s worth if you take advantage of all the ‘unlimited’ options that even their Basic, limited plan comes fully loaded with.
P.S. If you want to see hosting providers that ranked above MDD Hosting, check our web hosting comparison here.
Have you used MDDHosting? We’d love to hear about your experience — good or bad — as long as it’s honest and transparent. You can leave your MDD Hosting review below: