To make this review accurate we purchased SiteGround “StartUp” plan and set up a default website (hostingfacts-siteground.com) monitor uptime and speed (since June 2015).
Siteground offers their website hosting services worldwide since 2014 and they are headquartered in Bulgaria.
In the web development community, SiteGround is known as the cheap/shared hosting provider that comes with unlimited bandwidth and includes SSL (Let’s Encrypt) and CDN (CloudFlare).
You can pay monthly $3.95/mo (this includes an additional $14.95 setup fee) or yearly and they transfer your website for free (just ask their live chat).
When reviewing SiteGround, we found their performance quite good. Their last 10-month average was 99.99% and load time 714ms.
We also found their customer support knowledgeable in WordPress related questions. We didn’t like their “setup” fee for 1-month plans and slightly limited storage space.
Pros of SiteGround Hosting
The primary categories we analyze for web host performance include uptime, speed, and support. After all – these three categories are the most critical to your site’s success.
There are also a few other areas where web hosts can set themselves apart from the competition, like additional plan features, which can positively contribute to their overall rating. SiteGround has a few, which we’ll dive into.
1. High Uptime (99.99%)
All of our hosting reviews are based on eight months of actual statistics and raw data.
Instead of using ready-made software solutions, SiteGround prefers in-house crafted solutions to ensure high-quality hosting experience.
- Their platform is built on Linux containers that provide great stability in times of unexpected traffic spikes.
- SiteGround was the first hosting provider that introduced the account isolation technology for client security.
- They built their own proactive server monitoring system that monitors their servers every 0.5 seconds and also proactively fixes any problems without human intervention, thus ensuring amazing uptime.
During that time, our test site on SiteGround had an average uptime of 99.99%, which is .05% better than the 99.94% industry standard and a promise from SiteGround.
They only had 20 outages in the last year (2018). That’s impressive as Web Hosting Pad had 2000+ outages.
Nevertheless, here’s the ‘uptime’ detailed overview:
Last 10-month average UPTIME:
- December 2017 average uptime: 100%
- January 2018 average uptime: 100%
- February 2018 average uptime: 99.97%
- March 2018 average uptime: 99.99%
- April 2018 average uptime: 100%
- May 2018 average uptime: 99.97%
- June 2018 average uptime: 100%
- July 2018 average uptime: 100%
- August 2018 average uptime: 99.99%
- September 2018 average uptime: 100%
SiteGround Load Time & UpTime: Last 10+ months’ detailed data can be found here.
2. Above Average Load Time (714ms)
Over the same 10-month period, our SiteGround test site saw an average page loading times of 714ms – faster than the 890ms average load times we found from other web hosts.
That’s very good – among the quickest we’ve seen.
It was also VERY consistent. No spikes or slow loading times whatsoever. So far, so good.
Last 10-month average LOAD TIME:
- December 2017 average speed: 680ms
- January 2018 average speed: 730ms
- February 2018 average speed: 730ms
- March 2018 average speed: 693ms
- April 2018 average speed: 735ms
- May 2018 average speed: 733ms
- June 2018 average speed: 699ms
- July 2018 average speed: 737ms
- August 2018 average speed: 688ms
- September 2018 average speed: 712ms
In overall, SiteGround is pretty fast.
3. Highly Knowledgeable & Responsive Support
Customer service is one area where SiteGround pays special attention. Which is no small feat, when you consider that they’re processing over 1,500+ tickets, 800+ phone calls and 2,000+ chat requests every day.
Over 300 people at SiteGround are engaged with customer support only to make sure clients are taken good care of and support is provided in three languages – English, Spanish and Italian.
- SiteGround provides support for well beyond only hosting related issues – their reps help with CMS questions as well.
- The official client survey results released by SiteGround each year show that their client satisfaction rate is constantly scored over 96% (2014, 2015, 2016) and 98% for 2018.
Case in point: our experience was FANTASTIC.
After only 11 seconds, their friendly and knowledgeable live agent connected with us. Then, we started to bombard her with different questions on how to do X and how to do Y. For example, we asked her:
- #1 How to change nameservers on domains?
- #2 How to create email addresses on SiteGround?
- #3 How to keep my email inbox free from spam? – She actually told us they have a software that detects 98% of the spam emails.
It was such a pleasure. They’re one of the only web hosts we’ve analyzed to get a perfect 10 out of 10 in support.
SiteGround customer support agent
Sounds too good to be true? Even after doing a background check and surveying other sources, we still couldn’t find many negative responses about their support.
4. High-Performance WordPress Hosting on All Plans
One of the special features that SiteGround plans include (which most other web hosts don’t) is managed WordPress hosting on all accounts.
What does this mean?
For those of you who are out of the loop, this means that someone actually manages the service for you in terms of speed, security, support, updates and provides enhancement tools to make your life easier. The SiteGround platform is built on SSD and have an in-house crafted caching tool, the SuperCacher that is essential for the loading speed of your site.
They are also serious about security by constantly monitoring WordPress related vulnerabilities and proactively protecting users with custom WAF rules.
They take care of WordPress and plugin updates, make daily backups for free in case a random occurrence might bring your site down. (Which is surprisingly common, like when two plugins don’t play well together and you’re met with the dreaded white screen of death.)
But that’s not all. There is also stuff for power users as well within their GrowBig and GoGeek plans. These include WordPress staging environments, pre-installed Git, WP-CLI for easy command line management options, PCI compliance for e-shops, 1-year Wildcard SSL for free, priority customer support, free backup and restore.
5. Free Security Add-Ons
In addition to the security options available with their WordPress managed hosting, SiteGround also provides extra security for sites with all shapes and sizes. Available tools include SpamAssassin and SpamExperts, IP address blocklists, Leech Protect, and hotlink protection.
You can also add SG Site Scanner (a service that checks your website daily and notifies you if it has been hacked or compromised) for a measly $19.8 year.
6. Easy E-Commerce Installs
E-commerce applications that power the web’s top sites, like Magento, can be especially difficult and problematic if you’re not technically inclined.
Fortunately, SiteGround removes a lot of the hassle by making it easy to choose from 18 eCommerce applications and install your favorite one in 1 click. They also provide multiple server locations, free CDN, PCI compliance, advanced caching solution for top site performance and great customers’ experience. As for security, client accounts are isolated from each other by a custom server solution, which means that if one account gets hacked others are not affected.
7. FREE Transfers for Existing Websites
Just like many others, SiteGround will transfer your existing account for free from a previous host within 24 hours. In comparison, this process may be paid or can take up to 30 days with other hosts.
You only get one free professional website transfer and it is only for their GrowBig and GoGeek services, but you won’t have to lift a finger or wait a month to get it. For StartUp users they offer a free WP Migration tool.
SiteGround’s support agents handle it all. There’s also more than one way to transfer a site.
The easiest way to request a site transfer is to do so when you first sign up for SiteGround. Just click “Transfer an existing website” in the Account Setup Wizard.
You also have the option to request a website transfer through the support section of your SiteGround Account.
Then, click Transfer Website.
It’s important to note that SiteGround can only transfer the files and databases of a single website without your email accounts and other account settings if your previous web host isn’t running cPanel.
You also have the option to transfer your website to SiteGround manually, but we recommend taking advantage of the free transfer that comes with your plan.
8. Affordable Pricing (On-Par with Other Web Hosts)
SiteGround offers quality hosting packed with extra features and they are usually not the cheapest option available. Currently, their rates are price matching some of the cheapest in the business (to $3.95 per month, down from $9.99 monthly).
Point is, for all of the stellar options they do offer, currently their pricing is a steal compared with other web hosts of lesser quality.
9. 30-Day Money Back Guarantee
SiteGround might not offer a free trial of their services, but they do offer a 30-day money back guarantee which is exactly the kind of security you need if you’re looking for a web host.
That way, you’ll have peace of mind. You don’t have to fully commit to SiteGround unless you are 100% satisfied with it in your first 30 days of use.
Note that some conditions apply to this host’s money back guarantee:
- You must post a service termination request through the User Area.
- Initial orders for hosting services are covered only within thirty days from the day that SiteGround activated the service(s).
- Cloud service is fully refundable for the first 15-days after activation.
- Renewal orders are not covered.
- Domain name and domain privacy (ID Protect) fees are not refundable. These fees might even be due upon cancellation, even if they are waived as part of a promotion.
- Dedicated hosting, paid support, and third-party services are not covered by the money back guarantee.
- Reseller packages are only covered if the entire reseller package is canceled. This guarantee doesn’t apply to the termination of single accounts in a reseller package, either.
10. Free CDN and SSL Certificate
Another great benefit of using SiteGround’s service is that every plan they offer comes equipped with a free SSL certificate and CDN (content delivery network) integration.
These features are a HUGE bonus!
Due to the proliferation of cyber attacks and website hacks, Google has shifted certain aspects of their algorithm to favor secure and encrypted websites. Namely, websites with an SSL (secure socket layer) encryption.
With SiteGround, you will receive a free SSL certificate installation (which normally costs around $60) from ‘Let’s Encrypt SSL’ that will instantly bolster your website’s security and search engine optimization.
Furthermore, they’ve included a free integration of Cloudflare’s CDN.
This means that Cloudflare will cache the data and content from your site on their global servers and then deliver that content to your audience from a nearby location. Thus speeding up the delivery of your content and improving the user experience for your visitors.
11. Transparency and Community Support
The world of web hosting and cybersecurity is rife with shady practices and unscrupulous behavior.
Luckily, SiteGround is committed to providing their customers with a transparent and straightforward experience as well as a thriving community of experts who can help walk you through different challenges and troubleshooting issues.
SiteGround includes an uptime monitor in the main navigation menu. They also share the IP address of their data centers, blatantly telling their “GoGeek” customers that they will have fewer accounts on their server than ‘Startup’ customers (a fact that most shared hosting providers avoid). SiteGround is committed to maintaining their company’s integrity and providing you with a clear and transparent customer experience.
Furthermore, they have a strong commitment to the web hosting community and over the years their team has sponsored, attended, or spoken at more than 400 community events.
In conjunction with the high level of support that they provide their customers, this illustrates a clear commitment to the web hosting community and a company culture of support and charity.
Cons of SiteGround Hosting
SiteGround offers great uptime, page loading speeds, and support. They even offer a bunch of nice ‘extras’ that can help to seal the deal. There are a few drawbacks to consider when shopping around.
Here they are:
1. “Setup Fee” for Monthly Billing
Here’s how most web hosts get you.
They advertise an obscenely low ‘monthly’ price. The catch is that you often have to sign up for two or three years in order to get it. Most other web hosts don’t even offer a true ‘month-to-month’ option, with a one year deal being the shortest they’ll go.
The good news is that SiteGround’s pricing is straightforward and doesn’t play that game. Their low advertised price is for the 12-month deal.
Conclusion? Don’t pay monthly.
They also do offer a true ‘monthly’ option if you want it. AND it’s the same low advertised price. The only problem is that they also charge a one-time ‘setup fee’ on these ‘month-to-month’ plans of an extra $14.95.
2. Limited Storage Space
Compared with other web hosts, SiteGround’s storage space is a bit on the small size (so you might want to clarify disk space if you think it’ll be a concern).
They will offer a helpful note as to how many monthly visitors you can safely handle without experiencing any issues. If you’re just starting out, the “StartUp” plan will usually be more than enough. If your site grows, you can easily upgrade to a more robust server/plan which is likely to have more power.
With the StartUp plan, you’ll get 10 GB of web space. SiteGround recommends this plan for about 10,000 monthly website visitors.
If you need more, just move up to the GrowBig plan. You’ll get 20 GB of web space with that plan. If you receive around 25,000 monthly visitors, SiteGround recommends this package.
If you want to upgrade to the GoGeek plan, you’ll receive 30 GB of space. SiteGround recommends this plan for a website that receives about 100,000 visitors every month.
SiteGround Pricing, Hosting Plans & Quick Facts
Here’s a quick rundown of the hosting plans offered by SiteGround:
Shared Hosting: Their shared hosting comes with three main plans:
- The StartUp plan: This plan costs $3.95 per month, can host one website and is suitable for newbies who are just starting with their website. Can handle up to 10,000 unique visits per month and has the first level of the SuperCacher plugin enabled which is static cache, 24/7 client support, free CDN, Let’s Encrypt SSL, Unlimited Emails & DBs, free site migration, free daily backup, etc.
- The GrowBig plan: This plan costs $5.95 per month and can host multiple websites and this plan can handle up to 25,000 visits per month, a free SSL Wildcard for 1 year, 30 backup copies and free restore, all 3-levels of the SuperCacher, which aids loading time tremendously, customer support with priority, although SiteGround has insanely fast response times, GrowBig and GoGeek clients are handled with priority.
- Their GoGeek plan: This plan costs $11.95 per month which can host multiple websites and offers even more space, can handle up to 100,000 visits per month, has all features of the other two plans plus 1-click WP staging, pre-installed git, PCI compliance and fewer accounts on the server.
All shared hosting plans come with a free email account, free CDN and unlimited bandwidth.
- Domain: Domain prices start from $9.95
- Ease of Signup: Very easy, one-page sign-up process.
- Payment Methods: Credit Card (there are other options available through chat)
- Hidden Fees and Clauses: They charge a $14.95 setup fee if you pay for their shared hosting plans monthly instead of annually. Sad face 🙁 You’d be better off paying 1 year upfront to avoid that.
- Upsells: Few… Nothing too bad.
- Account Activation: Quick account activation.
- Control Panel and Dashboard Experience: cPanel
- Installation of Apps and CMSs (WordPress, Joomla, etc.): Quick and easy install of popular apps and CMSs using Softaculous.
Do We Recommend SiteGround?
Yes, we do. SiteGround is perfect for those who care deeply about customer support, while not sacrificing quick page speeds or impressive uptime either.
They also offer a bunch of additional features that might be perfect for you if eCommerce/WordPress is your goal, or if you’d like security to be handled by someone else.
Currently, their pricing is also on par with many other web hosts of lesser quality, so it’s the perfect time to act and take advantage.
Do you have experience with SiteGround Hosting? Feel free to leave your review – good or bad, as long as it’s honest and transparent – in the comments section below.